There may be times in your life when you have trouble sleeping or may get to sleep but wake throughout the night and find it difficult to get back to sleep.
There can be a number of reasons for not being able to sleep which include worry, stress, exams, pain, fear, overtiredness, caffeine, eating too late at night, shift work, noise, a new baby, depression and being too excited to sleep.
Missed sleep, especially if it is cumulative, can affect your concentration and efficiency. You may also become more irritable, tired, exhausted, worried and stressed thus creating a never ending cycle.
If there is no medical reason for your insomnia you may like to try the following
1. A warm glass of milk or a cup of chamomile tea an hour or two before bed time.
2. Some visualization. Imagine a very relaxing scene. Make sure you involve all your senses.
3. A warm bath. Add 6 drops in total of one or two of the relaxing essential oils below in a half cup of full fat milk and add to the bath. Play relaxing music to further relax you.
4. A back massage using 5 drops of 1 or 2 of the following essential oils in total in 10mls of vegetable oil. You could also gently massage your chest so you are breathing in the aroma during the night.
5. Place a few drops on a tissue and leave near your pillow so you can breathe in the aroma. An ultrasonic diffuser could also be used.
9 Essential Oils to Help You Sleep
Geranium (Pelargonium graveolens) a balancing oil that helps to calm the mind and ease nervous exhaustion due to stress.
Lavender (Lavendula angustifolia) the classic oil for relaxation and sleep.
Mandarin (Citrus reticulata) helps to calm and soothe you.
Palmarosa (Cymbopogon martini) helps to calm the mind and ease anxiety allowing you to sleep.
Roman chamomile (Anthemis nobilis) a very calming relaxing oil. Along with mandarin it is safe for young children but use only 2 or 3 drops of essential oil to 10mls of vegetable oil in a massage blend.
Sandalwood (Santalum album) or Australian Sandalwood (Santalum spicatum) helps to quiet the mind and bring a sense of calm so you can sleep.
Sweet marjoram (Marjorama hortensis) is useful if you can’t sleep because your thoughts keep going round and round in circles.
Sweet orange (Citrus sinensis) helps to ease stress and irritability.
Vetiver (Vetiveria zizanoides) is very calming and grounding.